Saturday, May 29, 2010

My Only Claim To Renown

To be born and raised in Claraghatlea close to Millstreet Town
Does remain as my only claim to renown
Though from Clara Mountain I live far away
And time has left me looking older and gray.

In Duhallow now the birds sing all the day
And the hawthorns are in their white blooms of the May
And Nature's wildflowers bloom in fields lush and green
And bluebells are on the ditch of the bohreen.

In far fields I grew to love Nature as a young schoolboy
And walks in her quiet places I still do enjoy
Though my better years to the forever gone
And the clock on my life it does tick on and on.

On looking back the Seasons time seemed to go fast
And only the memories remain of the past
But in my mind I can hear the male robin sing
On a leafy birch tree in the prime of the Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment