Monday, June 7, 2010

The Memories Remain

The Land of the roo and emu and pee wee
This great Southern Country is now home to me
But in my flights of fancy I hear and I see
The male robin singing on a silver birch tree.

My first lessons in Nature were in fields far away
I did love her then and I love her today
I got to know some birds by their chirping or song
Some voices of Nature one cannot get wrong.

The constant babbling of the silver tongued rill
That hurries downland from the field by the hill
By ditches and groves and many a hedgerow
On to the big river it ever does flow.

I grew to love Nature when I was a boy
And learning about her I still do enjoy
Her wonders are many and her secrets not few
And every day from her we learn something new.

The past may be gone but the memories remain
And in fancy I walk in the old fields again
The male chaffinch is singing as the sun goes down
On an evening in Spring in a grove by the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment