Saturday, August 28, 2010

I Live Many Miles

I live many miles from my old homeplace and only the memories remain
Of people I knew some are deceased and some I may not see again
My better years are long behind me and old age of me not far ahead
And the thought to me is quite unpleasant that soon I will be with the dead.

The boys and girls I went to school with their life's journeys different to mine
They have formed new bonds and new friendships and with their new friends wine and dine
Though similar memories as such the most of us do have to recall
Our difference in our ways and in our life's ambitions does surely apply to us all.

The good memories of the fifties are the memories I like to retain
Though our teachers in school far from angels they sure did not spare us the cane
Thankfully nowadays in Ireland 'tis different school caning a thing of the past
The bad things like the good things in life as we do know are things that are not meant to last.

We all have our own ways and habits though some of us change over time
And most of us have our addictions mine happens to be penning of rhyme
A migrant in this great Southern Country is all that I can wish to be
Until the Reaper that I do fear comes to claim the life's breath from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment