Friday, August 13, 2010

No Less Mortal Than I

I believe in equality that none is born a fool
Though I was dunce of the classroom in Millstreet Primary School
But dunce is a put down word used by ignoramus kind
And in every town and village such people you will find
For some of the boys I went to school with the funeral bell has tolled
And some of them grandparents and all like me are getting old
The past has gone forever though the memories remain
And often in my flights of fancy I'm in the schoolyard again
Playing football in the lunch break the memories linger on
Of when I was a schoolboy in days that are long gone
The dunce of the school classroom as I can well recall
Not to me that it does matter one little bit at all
The bright boys of my classroom no less mortal than I
Since it is one known fact of life that we all are born to die.

No comments:

Post a Comment