Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Ageing Migrant From Duhallow

He said of Millstreet people and sports people and cultural icons you write
The sort of stuff few bother to read and fewer wish to recite
But when memories of your young years in print you recall
Of greater Duhallow and it's people you write little at all
Remember Duhallow's most famous person was not from Millstreet
Derrygallon's Pat O Callaghan the hammer thrower the dual Olympic Gold Medal Winning athlete
A long deceased sporting legend renowned Worldwide
The best of Duhallow and all of Ireland's pride,
The ageing migrant from Duhallow his hair silver gray
did not speak of my rhymes in a complimentary way
And of his perception of my bias towards Millstreet he did not leave me in doubt
As he spoke his truth to me without having to shout
We are both from Duhallow he spoke his truth to me
But we all look at life one might say differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment