Friday, January 21, 2011

I Have Seen The Sunset Of Many A Day

I have seen the sunset of many a day
Since i left my first homeplace from here far away
Claraghatlea about a mile west of Millstreet Town
Since then on many roads i've driven up and down

For my years of life materially i do not have much to show
And by such things one is judged by i have come to know
And though my best years in physical terms to the forever gone
I too do love life and i want to live on

Yet my thoughts often return to the Claraghatlea Spring
When nesting birds in the leafy groves whistle and sing
And cattle on lush grass from long months in sheds on silage and hay
And hawthorns covered in their beautiful white blooms of May

In my first home-place i believe change is happening there
But then one can say that about anywhere
And only the memories with me do remain
Of what has been but never can be again.

No comments:

Post a Comment