Saturday, October 15, 2011

Jimmy From Duhallow

I'd be a stranger today in Duhallow that is what old Jimmy says to me
A stranger in Millstreet and Ballydaly in Cullen and in Knocknagree
A stranger in Kiskeam and Newmarket in Meelin and in Boherbue
I used to be well known in Dromtarriffe in Rathcoole and in Derrinagree

I did have many friends in Banteer and in Kanturk where the Allow does flow
Through old fields to join the Blackwater so many there i used to know
I did have friends in Ballydesmond in Nadd and Kilcorney as well
Old Jimmy of his younger years in Duhallow has many great yarns to tell

I had friends in Glenlara and Rockchapel and Knockscovane from here far away
Old Jimmy feels he'd be a stranger in all of those places today
He says 'tis fifty years since i left Duhallow going back some five decades in time
When i was a month short of twenty and very close to my life's prime

A happy man Jimmy from Duhallow though the years have left him looking gray
His Aussie wife June died two years back she was my soul mate he does say
He turned seventy one in September he is seven times a grand-dad
He says i am living and healthy and for life's small blessings i do feel glad.

No comments:

Post a Comment