Friday, March 8, 2013

I No Longer Pine

I no longer pine for my first home near Millstreet
Or the old rushy fields where the rivers do meet
Where Finnow from Gneeves to the Blackwater flow
In the home of the badger and the silver back crow

I recall the song of the curlew in May
His pleasant flute like notes are with me today
In fancy i hear him in a distant sky
Above the brown bogland he pipes as he fly

Where i used to daydream i might be a poet
A person well worthy of literary note
But daydreams are just that and seldom come true
And suppose i receive from life what is my due

In fancy the song of the dipper i hear
The river he sings in to me seems quite near
The dark brown water bird with breast as white as snow
One of  Nature's minstrels that i used to know

Where is she today the Rose of Millstreet Town
With blue eyes and shoulder length hair of wavy brown
She was Duhallow's beauty when i was a boy
Old memories remain as a source of joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment