Sunday, August 18, 2013

Of A Life Of Adventure

Of a life  of adventure i do not have to tell
Though i have drunk of the clear spring water of Tubrid Well
And i have heard the brown larks on evenings in May
Singing above the bog in Claraghatlea from here far away

I have  never been to Berlin or Paris  or Rome
But i have seen great sights  far south of my first home
I have been to where the mountain ash seemingly touch the sky
They stand higher than some birds do venture to fly

Any of the  World's seven wonders i cannot claim to have seen
But in my travels in many towns i have been
And i have worked and mixed with many races far too many to name
To find if you treat people with respect in return they will treat you with the same

I have not seen Lake Baikal the World's largest spring lake
But i have heard the maagpies singing hours before daybreak
In late Winter when the moon lights the far southern sky
To describe in words their beautiful flute like music one can only try

Though i have been on the crowded trains of Tokyo in Japan
I cannot claim to be a well traveled man
And though of my first homeplace i do live far south
Of a life of adventure i cannot talk about.

No comments:

Post a Comment