Thursday, October 17, 2013

In My Flights Of Fancy

In my flights of fancy i hear and i see
A male pink breasted chaffinch on high branch of leafy birch tree
Singing in the quiet of the evening just before sundown
In a rushy field just west of Millstreet Town

When wildflowers are in bloom in old fields far away
And the hawthorns are cloaked in their white blossoms of May
And cattle out of wintering sheds from months of living on silage and hay
On lush grass are putting on weight by the day

The flute like song of the curlew i fancy i hear
A voice from the past that to me remains near
He pipes as above his territory he flies around
His partner sits on her eggs camouflaged in the boggy ground

In the quiet of the evening the soft lowing of a cow
To her calf in a field by the River Finnow
And the rooks on their stick nests on the high trees in the twilight gray
Are cawing at the close of a pleasant Spring day

The now is all that does matter but the memories with me stay
Of the cooing of the wood pigeons in woods far away
And though the past may be gone memories of it with me remain
And the dipper is singing in my thoughts again.

No comments:

Post a Comment