Sunday, November 24, 2013

I Am From Duhallow

I am from Duhallow just west of the Town of Millstreet
Near the damp rushy fields where the rivers do meet
And in unison to Drishane to the Blackwater flow
In the home of the rook and the silver back crow

Where i grew to love Nature when i was a boy
And learning of her ways today i enjoy
And though my wonder of her only does seem to grow
So little about her i can claim to know

The friends of my younger years where might they be today?
With them i drunk porter and football did play
But in old Duhallow i was not destined to stay
The bug of the wander in me had it's way

I have not seen old Clara for many a year
But for what used to be i have shed my last tear
The nostalgia in me it has faded to die
To say i feel homesick now would be a lie

Where i used to imagine myself as a poet
A fellow quite worthy of literary note
But imagination and reality quite different it does seem
And lack of success leads to low self esteem

Still in many ways i feel a lucky man
I lay in the sunshine improving my tan
Far south of Claraghatlea in view of Clara Hill
In the wet and the cold winds of the November chill.

No comments:

Post a Comment