Thursday, December 12, 2013

On Hearing A Blackbird

When i hear a blackbird singing it always takes me far away
To my first home by the old stream in the dawn of a Spring day
A few hours before the sun shines in the sky of blue and gray
When the nesting birds are singing in the time of bloom in May
Though the past i do remember for it i have no more tears
The sweet song of a blackbird takes me back the long gone years
The memories of the young years in the migrant mind remain
And the song of a familiar bird brings them to life again
We only have the memories of the what used to be
But with that the now is all that matters i feel sure most would agree
Where everybody knew me and mine was a familiar face
Today i would be a stranger to many back in my first homeplace
The years go by so quickly and time does tick on fast
And only fading memories remain of the distant past.

No comments:

Post a Comment