Sunday, July 27, 2014

As A Friend To A Friend

As a friend to a friend he said to me yesterday
Perhaps you should give penning of doggerel away
And though you are one with words who likes to play
In rhyme you have said all that that you have to say

I have pondered on his well meaning advice
But everything in life does come at a price
And since rhyming does give so much pleasure to me
For to give it away how silly would i be

As a younger man i used to daydream of becoming a poet
A person well worthy of literary note
But from years of rhyming i have come to realize
That only the cream to the top ever rise

My friend said to me you are well past your prime
And on your rhyming hobby you ought to call time
But to his well meaning advice i will not be paying heed
Since for happiness in my life rhyming i do need.

No comments:

Post a Comment