Saturday, September 20, 2014

And What If

And what if i only do pen doggerel
Since of life i too have my own stories to tell
Though i cannot say i have been there and done that
I have worked in a pipeline crew near Ballarat

And since my gift of memory does serve me well
I enjoyed my nights in the Bunny Hotel
Where with my workmates in Kelleher and Cunningham's crew
Of Carlton beer we drank more than a few

And in Duhallow and Muskerry's high country in bracken to my knees
I worked with chain saw felling and paring trees
In all sorts of weather conditions and in truth i can say
To earn one's money than this there is more than one easier way

It was the lust of the wander that lured me far south
Of the home of the badger and the brown river trout
Just one of many to leave the first home place
Where today mine to many would be a stranger's face

In forty years of rhyming i have written a whole pile of rhyme
Which some would consider as a waste of good time
Since from it i know neither money or fame
But it is something i do enjoy doing just the same

Far south of the place where my life's journey began
I am in the twilight of my lifetime span
And though as success goes i have not done at all well
I too do have my own life stories to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment