Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Our Link To The Past

I was raised on old stories of brave rebel men
Of the heroes of ambushes at Headford, Kilmichael and Tureengarriffe Glen
But the old story tellers and the rebels long deceased and that was long ago
And since then time that rusts iron has become my foe
Yet the memories of childhood are with me today
They followed me here from a place far away
And it looks like with me they are destined to stay
Till the Reaper of lives on my life has the say
The children i went to school with like me aging women and men
And in my first home place many changes have happened since then
And i only have memories of the what used to be
And of people some now deceased and some i may never more see
But the stories of the old story tellers do live on in me
Thanks to our link to the past the gift of memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment