Monday, November 9, 2015

Memories Of The Corpus Christi Procession In Millstreet Town

I was not a religious boy and i am not a religious man
But my memory in time the decades do span
And often carries me back to where my life's journey began
To the places and town where i lived my youthful elan

In my younger years when my hair was dark brown
In June at the Corpus Christi Procession in Millstreet Town
After second mass on a Sunday from the church at the West End to a mobile altar in the Town Square
Willie Murphy on the loud speaker led the congregation in prayer

Girls in their white laced communion dresses young and innocent and free of conceit
From their baskets kissed flower petals and tossed them as they walked on the street
A beautiful memory a lifetime for to retain
And in moments of nostalgia for to visit again

To religious people Corpus Christi in Millstreet was a special day
On many shop and house windows in the Town religious symbols on display
Good memories of the what was to the past brings us near
Doubtless they still have the Corpus Christi Procession in Millstreet Town once a year

But sadly our Seasons of innocence did not seem to last
And for many of us our happiest memories are of the distant past
Most of the girls and boys of my youth i have not seen for years
And for my fading memories i have shed my last nostalgic tears

But to my fading memories i do desperately cling
And in fancy the girls in their white communion dresses i still hear them sing
In our age of innocence in Millstreet County Cork
When we thought that babies were brought to our homes by a stork.

No comments:

Post a Comment