Saturday, November 28, 2015

The Goldfinches Nest

Their twittering songs carry me far away
To the place where i first looked on the lamp of day
The birds of red around bill, dark brown, fawn and wings tipped with gold
Small feathered creatures of Nature beautiful to behold

Introduced by European man to Australia going back decades in time
Goldfinches have inspired artists and writers of song, story and rhyme
To sketch and write of these birds to lovers of Nature well known
Distinctive in their songs and appearance with ways of their own

I recall the first goldfinch nest i did see
Cup shaped among the leaves of low branch of a tree
Made of moss and lichen and lined with plant down
In the grove by my old home a mile from Millstreet Town

A nest built by the female this is the goldfinch way
With five speckled brown eggs of a palish gray
The male he would help her for to raise their young
The praises of goldfinches so many have sung

This beautiful memory with me does remain
That in my flights of fancy i often visit again
Of the goldfinches nest in the greenness of May
In the grove by my old home from here far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment