Sunday, December 18, 2016

I Used To Daydream

I used to daydream that i might be a poet
Or somebody worthy of literary note
But such thoughts in my mind are forever dead
I go into old age as a rhymer instead

Of one who from writing knows of wealth and fame
In writing few for themselves do make a name
I used to love reading rhymes as a schoolboy
And writing them nowadays is something i do enjoy

And though my worth as a rhymer i have reason to doubt
In life and people and nature so much to write rhymes about
And i hope to be rhyming till the day i do die
If i did tell you different this would be a lie

I wrote my first rhymes when in my physical prime
In my twenty seventh year this is going back in time
This is going back the years four decades and three or so
And in retrospect this does seem long ago

I used to daydream of a great literary career
As i sat on my own in the pub supping beer
But daydreams for few people only come true
And fame as a writer has not been my due.

No comments:

Post a Comment