Saturday, May 6, 2017

Where I First Looked

Where i first looked on the lamp of day
In distance from there i now live far away
Claraghatlea my first home place near the Town of Millstreet
In the green countryside where the waterways meet

But in my visualizations i hear and i see
The red breasted robin on a leafy birch tree
Singing his familiar song in the twilight gray
Just after sundown on a balmy evening in May

Where mine years ago was a familiar face
Today i would be a stranger to many in my first home place
I have not been there for thirty years that seems a long time
And i am many decades past my physical prime

I used to say i would go home for to grow old and die
But for now to say this may well be a lie
Since i no longer yearn for the what used to be
It does seem that nostalgia it has died in me

Far south of Millstreet Town where i went to Primary school
In this coastal countryside by the City of Warrnambool
I have found contentment in my twilight years
And for the what used to be i have shed my last tears.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I am doing a recitation on your poem "racism is around me everywhere" and I was wondering where your inspiration to write the poem came from.
    Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Unknown

    On your query on 'Racism Is Around Me Everywhere' at the time i did write it there was a lot of discussions on talk-back radio on racism and many of the callers did sound very racist to me

    ReplyDelete