Friday, June 9, 2017

I Never Thought I Would Be So Long Away

I never thought i would be so long away
From the place where i first looked on the lamp of day
Claraghatlea less than two kilometers from Millstreet Town
Where old Clara Mountain does ever look down

On the Cork Kerry border that stretch far and wide
Of Duhallow and Sliabh Luachra's green countryside
Old Clara i may never climb on again
But good memories of what was in me does remain

Of the Boggeragh Hills in their white hats of snow
When the wintry winds in the gray sky did blow
And the cattle in the farm yard sheds bellowing for silage or hay
In the gray dawn of a cold Winter's day

I retain happy memories of the Duhallow Spring
When in the leafy woods and groves nesting song birds do sing
And the hawthorns are cloaked in their white blooms of the May
Old memories die hard as the wise one does say

And wafting to me from Meadows far away
I get the sweet scent of grass mowed for silage or hay
In beautiful weather in June and July
Mental images are with me of Summer's long gone by

Of the fields of the badger and waterways of the brown trout
It was the yearn for wander that brought me far south
Of the fields that in fancy i often walk on again
When Clara is half cloaked in the gray fogs of rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment