Saturday, June 1, 2013

Only The Memories Remain

Old Clara in his December hat of snow
And in the old fields Finnow bank high did flow
And low gray looking clouds that held rain or sleet
In the sunless sky above the Town of Millstreet

Since in there i was not meant to grow old and gray
In Claraghatlea i had resolved not to stay
The bug of the wander addictive as some like to say
With me anyhow it does seem this way

I left on the bus for Rosslare as the rain drizzled down
On the almost deserted streets of Millstreet Town
I have not been back to Duhallow for twenty six years
And for past memories i've shed my last nostalgic tears

On an evening in Spring in a field by the river Finnow
I may never again hear the lowing of a cow
And only the memories with me now remain
Of what used to be but will not be again

Only memories remain of the past that has gone
And we live in the now and life does go on
And i grow old far south of where my life's journey began
Where i first saw light of day and grew into a man.

No comments:

Post a Comment