Wednesday, February 6, 2013

I Might Feel A Stranger

Where i did first look on the bright lamp of day
I might feel a straanger by Clara from here far away
A stranger to many in Claraghatlea by Millstreet Town
Where i used to live  when my hair was dark brown

I have not been in Millstreet for twenty six years
But for my fading memories of it i have shed all of  my tears
I do not feel nostalgic like i used to before
For the roadway from Millstreet that leads to Rathmore

Koroit twenty minutes by car from the City of Warrnambool
Is a long way south of where i went to school
Though not known here to be local it is home to me
Where we live to us home would you not agree?

Tomorrow will come and yesterday has gone
And we live in the now and life does go on
Perhaps the boys i went to school with like  me showing signs of time's decay
Some of them are the aging grandads of today

Of what used to be only memories remain
Though in fancy i walk in the  old fields again
I recall many of them had their own given name
If i see them today perhaps they would look the same

As the old fields i loved as a shy country boy
Memories of them to me remain a source of joy
The scratchy calls of the corncrake  on a  Summer's night
In the unmown meadow in the dim moonlight

A thing i will remember until the day i die
The past remains  with me of that why should i lie
But the now is all that does matter and the possibility with me remain
That i may never walk in the old fields again.

No comments:

Post a Comment