Monday, March 23, 2020

I Left Duhallow

I left Duhallow but Duhallow did not leave me
In my visualizations erstwhile friends i do see
Though i have not seen them for years and from them live far away
In my memories of them they have not aged a day

For as long as the gift of memory we retain
Mental pictures of the past in us does remain
In fancy i walk in the old fields again
Resplendent in their Nature's flowers after recent Spring rain

In the place where i daydreamed i would be a poet
One seen to be worthy of literary note
But daydreams as such for so few do come true
And such honours in life are not to be my due

In the green countryside where old Blackwater flow
The love i feel for Nature in me began to grow
But going back the decades this now seems long ago
And since time that ages all things has become my foe

I left Duhallow when Winter her cold winds did blow
And the Boggeraghs were wearing their white hats of snow
Only to realize Duhallow has followed me far south
With the fields of the badger and waterways of the brown trout

From Duhallow i have been a long time away
And perhaps there i will not spend my life's final day
But in my visualization i can hear the babble of the rill
Flowing down from the high fields by Clara's old Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment