Tuesday, August 18, 2020

A Cow And Her Calf

With eyes brown as chestnuts and bodily hair dark as can be
The black cow across the fenceline was staring at me
She kept staring as cows do in their curious sort of way
As she stood there calmly with nothing to say

Her young angus bull calf of my presence seeminly unaware
His mother's interest in me he did not share
Far too busy enjoying the milk from her teats to find time to spare
And stand with his mother at me for to stare

At the man who does come to see her every day
I am sure she does not stare in a curious way
Cattle are far more intelligent than us humans realize
In their own way they can be quite knowledgeable and wise

Though interest in me in her stare she did show
Of the thoughts in her mind i was not to know
Her young calf suckling from her did not once look my way
He had other interests of him one can say

All of Nature's creatures have ways of their own
And so much about them remains to be known
And the more we learn of Nature's creatures the more we come to realize
That of them we know little this not a surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment