Thursday, November 12, 2015

A Man Of The Boggeraghs

I am of the fields where the waterways meet
Green old Claraghatlea by the Town of Millstreet
Through time and through distance the past follows me
A man of the Boggeraghs is all i can be

Like many migrants to any one place i do not belong
Some tell me my accent it is rather strong
And when some ask where i came from i say from Claraghatlea near Millstreet Town
Where i used to live when my hair was dark brown

Duhallow from Illowa in the Moyne Shire where i live today
In kilometers of sky many thousands away
And though i may never look on the Boggeraghs again
The memories of what was in me does remain

November in Duhallow a cold and wet time of year
At the back end of Autumn and Winter so near
In the subsiding flood of a gray November dawn
The salmon are swimming upriver to spawn

I am living far south of where my life's journey began
Of the countryside where i grew into a man
And though i may never look on them again
As a man of the Boggeraghs i do remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment