Monday, January 18, 2016

My Journey Far South

My journey far south did not lead me to wealth and renown
And though i may never again see the lights of Millstreet Town
Or Claraghatlea where i first saw the light of day
In distance from there i do live far away

In the Moyne Shire today it is thirty degrees
With a humid warmth in the coastal breeze
That blow across the bare brown paddocks from the ocean shore
Far warmer here than it is now in high Claramore

Where from the overnight frost the fields are silver gray
Some three and a half month from the first day of May
Storm water flowing bank high in every field drain
Where i do live now we could do with some rain

Though i may never again walk the sidewalks of Millstreet
In fancy my erstwhile friends i often meet
And though them in the flesh i may not see again
As young in my memory they do remain

Though the lights of Millstreet Town i may never more see
My past in Duhallow is living in me
And where to may today mine would be a stranger's face
Old Claraghatlea remains to me as a favorite place.

No comments:

Post a Comment