Friday, January 17, 2014

From Claraghatlea I Live Far South

From Claraghatlea i live far south thousands of miles of sky
This is as far in distance as most migratory birds do fly
I have not been there for many years not heard the robin sing
On a green leafy birch tree in the prime of the Spring

River birds of the past i used to hear and see
The scratchy notes of the dippers once familiar to me
I have not heard for many years and may not hear again
Only the memories of what was with me now remain

Of where i grew to love Nature when i was a boy
Old memories of what was are mine to enjoy
But the passing of time has left me looking balder, older and gray
And from my life's first memories i live far away

Perhaps on this day in mid January Finnow bank high to the Blackwater does flow
And old Clara is wearing it's Winter hat of snow
It is cold out of doors in mid Winter in the cold rain and sleet
By the Boggeragh hills near the Town of Millstreet

Today is quite warm in Victoria close to forty degrees
With great warmth in the sunshine and southerly breeze
Quite different from Duhallow by the hills far away
Where the cattle in farm sheds are bellowing for silage or hay.

No comments:

Post a Comment