Tuesday, January 29, 2013

I Like Birds

I like birds one ought not for to get them wrong
The familiar sort anyway even by song
The flute like notes of the Aussie magpies one should not mistake
To their songs every morning of the year i do wake

I may not have heard or seen him for decades of time
But the redbreast robin of my boyhood and prime
His distinctive song i remember today
Some things from the memory never fade away

I have always liked birds even as a young boy
And learning of their ways today i do enjoy
It is not out of love that the male bird does sing
Since song for his kind is a territorial thing

I have liked birds since i was a boy years ago
Many Seasons before time did become my foe
The beautiful fluting of the curlew in May
Above the bogland in my memory does stay

I like birds by voice i do know the pee wee
Their sort build cup shaped mud nest on low branch of tree
And the dark willy wagtails always hunting for flies
Aggressive towards bigger birds for birds of their size

I have always liked birds and i always will
The chaffinch who sang in the wood by the hill
His descendants from me may live far away
But in fancy i do hear them singing today.

No comments:

Post a Comment