Wednesday, January 16, 2013

In The Fields Near Millstreet

I learned about life in the fields near Millstreet
In the place of rushes where the rivers do meet
The little brown lark from the tussock did fly
To carol his song in the gray morning sky

When the hawthorns were cloaked in their white blooms of May
In the prime of the Spring from here far away
I gazed on Nature with the awe of a boy
Such beautiful memories are mine to enjoy

The song of the dipper i fancy i hear
The stream he sings in to my thoughts ever near
The dark brown water bird with breast white as snow
Of him and his ways i was getting to know

I only have memories of beauty i've seen
The bluebells in bloom on the ditch of bohreen
The robin did sing on a silver birch tree
His song today living in my memory

Where i used to daydream i might be a poet
A person well worthy of literary note
But daydreams are just that and seldom come true
And we receive from life what is only our due

In the  place of rushes where the rivers do meet
I learned about life in the fields near Millstreet
And only the memories with me now remain
Of beauty i never may witness again.

No comments:

Post a Comment