Saturday, November 14, 2020

Since I Last Saw Duhallow

 That nostalgia is linked in memory to the past it's own self does explain 
And like most migrants memories of what was good and bad i retain
That until i draw my last breath in me will remain
I often wonder will i ever see old Duhallow again

Of the fields of the badger and waterways of the brown trout
The yearn for adventure did bring me far south
And only the mental images are with me today
Of faces and places i knew far away

I believe in the Duhallow i was raised in change is happening fast
And only the memories remain of the past
I may never again see the Boggeraghs in snow
When the chill winds of Winter down the high country blow

And i may never again on an evening in Spring
On a leafy birch tree hear a male chaffinch sing
When the old fields are in their wildflowers of the May
That good memories die hard only true for to say

Since i last saw Duhallow it seems long ago
And time that ages all things has become my foe
And only the memories today are with me
Of the long ago and the what used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment