Saturday, July 20, 2019

And What If I Never Again

And what if i never again see Millstreet Town
Or on familiar sidewalks walk up and down
Though it lives as a memory of what used to be
Of the past in death only one does become free

It is only in memory that i walk again
In the old fields in March in the freshening winds of rain
When the breeding frogs are singing in every field drain
Good memories of what was a joy to retain

Where old Clara Mountain as ever looks down
On the green countryside west of Millstreet Town
Where i grew to love Nature when i was a boy
And learning of her ways today i enjoy

Faces of the past i do readily recall
Like me they too have grown older time takes care of all
So many i have not laid eyes on for years
And for what used to be i have shed my last tears

What if i never again walk in the rushy fields to where the waterways meet
In distance not far from the Town of Millstreet
I retain my good memories of the long ago
Though time that rusts iron has become my foe.

No comments:

Post a Comment