Sunday, June 23, 2019

It Has Been Many Years Since

It has been many years since my hair was dark brown
Since i lived in the countryside near Millstreet Town
I last saw old Clara thirty three years ago
And time that rusts iron has since become my foe

I often do visit the Millstreet Town web site
To view the photographs and see what the locals of their Parish do write
But to my disappointment i do not read of there or see
The people who once were most important to me

The friends of my younger years were humble in their way
Yet their sort are not seen as newsworthy today
But i never forget my friends of the past
And mental pictures of them as they were in me does last

Today i would be a stranger to many i would meet
In the Barony of Duhallow and my first homeplace of Millstreet
But only the memories with me now remain
Of the faces and places i may not see again

All i have of the past is a fading memory
Of where i wrote my first rhymes in nineteen seventy three
The now is all that matters and the past it has gone
And the clocks on our lives ever keep ticking on.

No comments:

Post a Comment