Friday, August 2, 2019

I May Never More

I may never more see the Town of Millstreet
Or walk through the fields to where the waterways meet
Or hear the birds sing in the prime of the May
On the leafy hedgerows from here far away

I may never again do things i often did before
Like climbing the high fields up to Claramore
All we have are our memories of the what used to be
The lot of the migrants just like you and me

On looking back the years time does seem to fly
How quickly the years and the months have gone by
Our younger years go so quickly time ticks along fast
And in memory we can only go to the past

Where old Clara Mountain as ever looks down
On the green countryside just west of Millstreet Town
Only the memories today i retain
Of beauty i may never look on again

In the grove by my first home in a Spring sunrise
The song of a chaffinch i can visualize
Until for road widening the county Council cut down the trees and carted the timber away
And where once there were trees no birdsong today

It was my love for travel that brought me far south
Of the fields of the badger and waterways of the brown trout
To the home of emu, koala and wallaby and gray kangaroo
And echidna and rosella as well ascorella and cockatoo

Though to many here mine remains a stranger's face
I feel happy to live in this beautiful place
Far south of the fields of the Claramore rill
And old Claraghatlea in view of Clara hill.


No comments:

Post a Comment