Monday, April 9, 2018

I Have Lived Through Many A Season

I have lived through many a Season since i left west of Millstreet Town
On a cold evening in early December with the wintery rain drizzling down
Way back in the mid nineteen eighties i do feel much older today
Time leaves everyone looking older and this is only true to say

Like many more i left in search of adventure my future was to be elsewhere
There is a World beyond Duhallow known as the bigger World out there
I have not been back to Duhallow though memories remain evergreen
And i retain mental images of the beauty i have seen

When people ask me where i come from i tell them Claraghatlea near the Town of Millstreet
A green old Townland in Duhallow of the fields where the waterways meet
In fancy i can see old Clara half cloaked in the gray fogs of rain
And see the eggs the female frogs had laid like clusters of jelly in the water logged drain

I have lived through many a Season since my journey in life took me far south
Of the fields of the brown hare and the badger and the waterways of the brown trout
And time that rusts steel and iron has left me looking balder and gray
And the past in me remains a memory of a place in distance from here far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment