Sunday, October 13, 2019

This Was Long Ago

Far north of this countryside near Warrnambool
In Millstreet Town I went to primary school
Long before time it did become my foe
Going back the Seasons this was long ago

The World to live in was different then
Long before I joined the band of migrant women and men
Where I was born and raised from here far away
To most people I would be a stranger today

In this era of change mostly due to cyber technology
Time that ages everything did not ignore me
Some I went to school with in Millstreet did stay
Whilst some did migrate and some where the deceased are does lay

Some old memories do remain as a source of joy
In the nineteen fifties when I was a boy
The Irish travellers in their horse drawn vans a nomadic race
On the by roads of Duhallow travelled from place to place

No Irish travellers in horse drawn vans seen on Irish roadways today
Like all things to change they too had to give way
In reality all we have left are memories of the past
And few things as they were does seem to last

Back in the days when my hair was dark brown
I was known to many in and near Millstreet Town
Before the wanderlust lured me far south
Of the fields of the badger and waterways of the brown trout.

No comments:

Post a Comment