Sunday, April 17, 2022

I Was Of The Place

I was of the place where Finnow does flow
In fields where the rushes in clusters do grow
To the Blackwater by night and by day
Onwards to saltwater babbling on it's way

It was my yearn for travel that lured me far south
Of the fields of the badger and the waterways of the brown trout
I have not seen the mountains of Duhallow and Sliabh Luachra for thirty five years
But for the what used to be i have long shed my last tears

I was of the place where the hawthorns in May 
Were covered in blossoms of pale white to gray
And the fields lush and green resplendent in Nature's flowers
Blooming in the sunshine after recent showers

I was of the fields that often in the morning of a Winter's day
From overnight frost were looking quite gray
But this is going back thirty five years or so
And in any human life does seem long ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment