Sunday, December 8, 2019

Since I Am One

Since i am one who is on the wrong side of time
For me like all others there will be a last rhyme
I have been penning doggerel since in my life's prime
But in the written book of law this is not a crime

In this coastal countryside close to Warrnambool
Far south of where i went to primary school
Time has me looking weary and balding and grey
I clearly have known of a far better day

The yearn for adventure has brought me far south
Of the fields of the badger and waterways of the brown trout
But the stay at home types i can only admire
For to live elsewhere in them no desire

I have long shed the last of my nostalgic tears
Since i have not lived in the homeplace for decades of years
But the memories of what was in me does remain
Of faces and places i may not see again

Since for doing it i never receive any pay
I have been advised to give rhyming away
And though my best years in life in the forever gone
For as long as i can do i will be rhyming on.

No comments:

Post a Comment