Saturday, December 14, 2019

Since I Danced In The Star

Of home to the badger and waterways of the brown trout
And of the old fields in view of the Boggeraghs far south
The years have left me looking weary and grey
I am one who has known of a far better day

A half of a century ago i turned twenty three
Time that does not wait for anyone did not wait for me
So many years now past my physical prime
Eventually we all become victims of time

Where are the girls i danced with in the Star Ballroom today
Perhaps some of them where the deceased are now lay
Some of them grandparents at home did stay
And others from Duhallow and sliabh Luachra are ageing far away

It was my yearning for adventure made a migrant of me
To grow old in Duhallow not in my life's destiny
I only have mental images of the what used to be
In time the past has become a fading memory

Since i danced in the Star many decades ago
Time that does age has become my foe
And only the memories does seem to last
Of the what used to be in the now distant past.

No comments:

Post a Comment