Friday, July 2, 2021

He Told Me

He told me of the honours in his life he has won
And of the successful professional careers of his daughter and son
I listened in silence to his life story as i would to anyone
But could not bring myself to say to him well done

Self praise is no praise happens to be true
To the first person to say this some credit is due
On him waffling on of the greatness of the self i could not feel impressed
Self delusion of importance in the ego of the self obsessed

He was under the illusion that he did impress me thought had proved him wrong
To the easy to impress sort i do not belong
I did not attempt to interrupt him left him waffle away
Silence is golden as the wise one did say

Of those into self promotion in a big way i quickly do tire
Their sort i cannot bring myself to admire
They are the loud voices where people do meet
As for attention with the like minded they do compete

He said i must go i have an appointment to keep on saying goodbye
To me a relief this i will not deny
His type are not rare in truth i can say
I meet one or two like him every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment