Sunday, January 16, 2022

Perhaps I Will Never

Perhaps i will never see Clara again
Or walk in the fields in the wind that brings rain
To that beautiful spot where the waterways meet
A short walk from the Duhallow Town of Millstreet

It was my yearn for adventure that lured me away
From where i first looked on the bright lamp of day
To experience life in the big World out there
And become one of the many people from elsewhere

Who in the homeplace did not choose to stay
The far off places better as some like to say
In Duhallow today few there would recognize me
There a stranger to many i know i would be

In the migrant mind visual pictures remain
And good memories of what used to be i retain
That will stay in me until the day i do die
If i did tell you different this would be a lie

I am showing my years in this Land far south
Of the fields of the badger and waterways of the brown trout
And i may never more see Duhallow in Spring
In the prime of the May when the nesting birds sing

In time i am fast approaching my last Fall
For eventually death it does come to us all
And only the memories i have to retain
Of what was for me but will not be again.

No comments:

Post a Comment