Friday, June 18, 2021

Perhaps I Will Never

 Perhaps i will never see Claraghatlea again
Or go for a walk in the wind that brings rain
In the rushy fields to where the waterways meet
In the green countryside near the Town of  Millstreet

It was my yearn for adventure that brought me far south
Of the fields of the badger and waterways of the brown trout
Today i would be a stranger to many in Duhallow's Millstreet Town
On old streets i often did walk up and down

In this far southern coastal place of echidna, koala and kangaroo
And white long billed corella and yellow tailed black cockatoo
Far south in distance eighteen thousand kilometres or more
From the rocky cliffs that border Hibernia's shore

In the countryside in view of Clara where mine was a known face
Today there to many i would be a stranger in my first homeplace
Yet despite my years of absence the memories with me remain
Of faces and places i may not see again

I may never more hear the low of a cow
On a Summer evening by old River Finnow
But the memories remain with me of that place far away
Where i first did look on the bright lamp of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment