Thursday, May 28, 2020

I Remain A Millstreet Man

Where the ancient Hill of Clara is forever looking down
On the green fields of Duhallow and the houses of Millstreet Town
It was there back in the forties i first saw the light of day
Long before the yearn for wander from there took me far away

I have done a bit of  travelling far south of Hibernia's Shore
And it has been more than three decades since i climbed on Claramore
But the memories are with me of where my life's journey began
Absence makes the heart grow fonder i remain a Millstreet man

Life does go on as usual in Claraghatlea in Millstreet
In the flat and rushy old fields where the waterways do meet
And in my dreams i hear the rippling of Claramore's restless rill
As it flows on to the river in a tongue that's never still

Many that i knew when younger in Millstreet did not stay
From the Town in view of Clara they are ageing far away
And some of them no longer living where the deceased are they lay
We are born to life as mortals time on our lives has the last say

I have long outlived nostalgia in case you may get me wrong
I wake in the grey dawning to the magpie's warbling song
And i hear the big waves crashing on the foreshore cliffs nearby
As above the coastal paddocks the dark brown cockatoos cry

Far south of views of the Boggeraghs where my life's journey began
As a balding grey haired migrant i may live out my life span
I am just one of the ageing without an end of life plan
And without being patriotic i remain a Millstreet man.

No comments:

Post a Comment